Easily Made Herbal Shower Tablets
My daughter absolutely loves making these and taking them into the shower. The smell and sensation is what she likes most and I think she feels special because we let her make these herself to use in her showers! Did I mention she is 12?
If a 12 year old can do it so can you, just follow the directions and make taking a shower a unique experience all it’s own. Hope you enjoy!
What you’ll need:
- 250g of Bicarbonate of soda (Often found cheaply in a box of this weight in pharmacies and hardware stores)
- Your favorite essential oils (we used eucalyptus, rosemary and lavender). About 20-25 drops of each type
- A little water
- A cupcake/bun tray with 12 moulds
- 12 cupcake liners (or small rounds of greaseproof paper to line the tray)
- A large mixing bowl
Here’s how to make your herbal steam shower tablets:
- Line your bun/cupcake tray with liners or rounds of greaseproof paper.
- Empty your bicarbonate of soda into the mixing bowl and add a little water, mixing all the time. Keep adding water (perhaps a teaspoonful at a time) until the mixture becomes a firm paste which can hold its shape.
- It’s really important not to make your mixture runny! We made this mistake the first time we tried to make the tablets, which resulted in almost three days of drying time!
- Add around 20 drops of each of your favorite essential oils to the mixture and give it a final stir to distribute the oils through the paste.
- Distribute the mixture equally between your twelve moulds. Pat the paste down to firm and level the tablets.
- Leave the tray in a fairly warm place (such as a sunny windowsill) to dry. The tablets will probably smell fairly strong, so I wouldn’t advise placing on or near a radiator as the scent may well become overpowering.
- Once the tablets are completely dry, you can remove them from the tray and store in a mason jar or lidded plastic tub until you are ready to use one. We left ours in their liners to prevent them crumbling before having the chance to use them.
To use your herbal shower tablets:
Run your shower water until it gets hot, place a tablet on the shower floor and enjoy!